PAC Meeting Minutes October 21, 2019
PAC Meeting Minutes - Meeting of October 21, 2019
Dixon Parents Advisory Committee
Location: Dixon Elementary School
PAC Members Present:
Chair - Jennifer McMillan
Treasurer - Laura Gillanders
Secretary - Michelle Gibault-Fahlman
Fundraising - Lyn Yan, Diana White, L’nielle Cajigas
And Parent Guests
Co-Chair - Rebecca Van Der Hijde (Regrets)
Dixon Administrators Present:
Principal Sean Harrington
- Welcome and Introductions
Jennifer McMillan called the meeting group to order at 7:00pm and welcomed all present.
- Review and Approval of Agenda
Jennifer motioned for the approval of the agenda. Motion approved by all.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
Jennifer motioned for the approval of the minutes of the meeting held September 22, 2019. Motion approved by all.
- Administrators’ report
Principal Sean Harrington reported as following upcoming events;
- October 16, 2019 saw a great turn out for track and field event at Garry Point Park.
- Early dismissal October 24, 2019 for Meet the Teacher meetings
- Pro-D Day October 25, 2019
- Remembrance Day ceremony will be held on Friday, November 8, 2019 at 9:15 am.
- No school on November 11, 2019
- November 18, 2019: Meeting at 6pm in Library for grade 5/6 french immersion families regarding Quebec trip 2020.
- Play first lunch working really well for kids. Providing structured time for eating. Kindergarten children are laying out their food prior to going outside to play.
- New 3D printer in library
Student Reporting Policy Pilot (SRPP) meeting on Thursday, October 17, 2019, went well.
- 40 parents attended
- Thanks to Liz Taylor, District principal for joining us
- Newsletter and power point posted on the website. Newsletter contains information regarding the new process and what to expect this year.
5. Treasurer’s Report
Laura Gillanders provided a detailed report on PAC finances. The Operating account holds $29,000.00 and the Gaming account hold $13,000.00
Laura advised that she is no longer able to continue in her current role as PAC treasurer for the 2019/2010 school year and will be stepping down by December. Ms. Billie Caffrey has volunteered to take over the PAC Treasurer position - thank you! Billie was NOMINATED for the position of Treasurer by the PAC President Jennifer, SECONDED by all. Thank you also to Laura for all her excellent work.
- $5,000.00 has been allotted for a Hip Hop program and the garden/ outdoor play area.
- $2,500.00 has been allotted for the teacher’s wish list.
- Fundraising Update
Planning for the November 14, 2019 Dixon Craft Fair is underway.
- Vendor tables are sold out.
- Volunteers are needed:
- Adult volunteers are required to sell raffle and 50/50 tickets
- Canvassing Dixon families for donations
- Canvassing outside businesses for donations ongoing.
The Dixon Movie Night on October 18, 2019, was a great success!
Tim bit classroom fundraiser planned to raise money to purchase toys for the silent auction at the Dixon Craft Fair.
- Additional Items
Jennifer McMillan discussed the Richmond District Parents’ Association (RDPA), as she had attended a meeting. The group meets on a monthly basis and the next meeting is scheduled for November 5, 2019 - PAC looking for parent volunteer to attend. On November 7, 2019, RDPA will be providing a PAC 101 Course for new PAC members. The RDPA will also be providing Food Safe training on November 23, 2019, (all day course) at Richmond Secondary School. Registration deadline is November 4, 2019. The next RDPA meeting is on November 5, 2019 - open to a parent volunteer who would like to attend. The RDPA is negotiating a renewal of the movie licence for school family movie nights - the Dixon license ends at the end of October.
Lyn Yang advised that she is looking into organizing a screening the movie “Screenagers” at Dixon. Possible funding collaboration with Diefenbaker Elementary School. Additional information to come.
SCHEDULE of PAC MEETINGS FOR 2019/ 2010 SCHOOL YEAR
October 21, 2019
November 18, 2019
Jan 20, 2019
February 24, 2019
April 20, 2019 - Annual General Meeting
May 25, 2019
June 15, 2019
Motion to Adjourn meeting:
MOVED, SECONDED and CARRIED that meeting be adjourned at 8:00pm.
Next 2019/2020 PAC meeting scheduled for November 18, 2019.