PAC Meeting Minutes January 20, 2020
PAC Meeting Minutes - Meeting of January 20, 2020
Dixon Parents Advisory Committee
Location: Dixon Elementary School
PAC Members Present:
Chair - Jennifer McMillan
Co-Chair - Rebecca Van Der Hijde
Treasurers - unable to attend
Secretary - Michelle Gibault-Fahlman
Fundraising - Lyn Yang, L’nielle Cajigas
And Parent Guests
Dixon Administrators Present:
Principal Sean Harrington
Vice-Principal May Wong
- Welcome and Introductions
Jennifer McMillan called the meeting group to order at 7:00pm and welcomed all present.
- Review and Approval of Agenda
Jennifer motioned for the approval of the agenda. Rebecca APPROVED the motion which was SECONDED by Lyn Yang.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
Jennifer motioned for the approval of the minutes of the meeting held November 18, 2019. Lyn APPROVED the motion which was SECONDED by all.
4. PAC Report
a. PAC Executive
Rebecca advised that she is unable to continue in her role as Co-Chair for the foreseeable future, and is stepping down from her role. All present expressed their thanks.
b. PAC Bylaws
Dixon PAC has been using the standard PAC Bylaws of the BCCPAC, which need to be reviewed and possibly modified. PAC to discuss further.
5. Administrator's report
Principal Sean Harrington reported as following upcoming events, which include the following;
- Welcome back – Happy New Year!
- December Hip Hop was a great success. English and French classes were purposely combined to build friendships and community.
- Fitness week went very well. Special thanks to our parent volunteers and healthy food advocates
- E-portfolios – Mid-Year summative reports to be posted February 7th. Parents are encouraged to continue interaction with children and their e-portfolio. Reporting on February 7, 2020 will be cumulative, which means an ‘overall’ look at student progress.
- Basketball has started. Thank you to coaches Mr. Ray, Ms. Soo, Ms. Wong, Mr. Tasaka, Mr. Martynuik and Mr. Rostrup
- January 27th – Professional Development Day, no school
- January 28th to 31st , Talent Show, thanks Ms. Evans and Mrs. Froh
- Grade 7 High School transitions are beginning to happen. Representatives from McMath and Hugh Boys Secondary schools coming to Dixon to speak with students.
- Seleema Noon presentations. Dates confirmed: January 29th at 6 pm parent evening and January 30th in session with students. Information letter going home this week.
- Wishlist – Basketball jerseys received.
- February 10th Band Concert (1:30 and 6:30 pm)
- February 13th Carnaval
- February 14th District Professional Development Day, no school
- Awaiting additional information regarding plan for seismic upgrading of Dixon.
- Speed bumps are working well. There are no plans for speed bumps at the back of Dixon.
6. Treasurer’s Report
As the PAC Treasurer was unable to attend, there was no report to discuss.
7. Fundraising Report
- Hot lunches ongoing. Ordering now open through Munch a Lunch for hot lunch orders.
- Plans underway for another movie night, possibly April 3, 2020.
8. Richmond District Parents’ Association (RDPA) Report
RDPA group meets monthly. PAC is open to having a parent volunteer(s) attend the meetings and share information with the PAC. There was no new information regarding RDPA.
9. Additional Items
Grade 7 parents present inquired about planning for Grade 7 graduation activities. A meeting will be arranged and grade 7 parents notified. Parent volunteers will be needed for the various activities. Grade 7 graduation ceremony will occur on June 24, 2020 at 9:15 am.
PAC discussed ways to invite and encourage parents to attend PAC meetings. PAC is open to all parents and guardians. Participation in PAC is a great way to get the latest information on school activities, be involved in decision making through discussion and voting, and get to know others in our school community.
SCHEDULE of PAC MEETINGS FOR 2019/ 2020 SCHOOL YEAR
October 21, 2019
November 18, 2019
Jan 20, 2020
February 24, 2020
April 20, 2020 - Annual General Meeting
May 25, 2020
June 15, 2020
Motion to Adjourn meeting:
MOVED, SECONDED and CARRIED that meeting be adjourned at 7:42pm.
Next 2019/2020 PAC meeting scheduled for February 24, 2020.