PAC Meeting Minutes of January 17, 2022
PAC Meeting Minutes of January 17, 2022
Dixon Parents Advisory Committee
Location: Zoom meeting due to COVID-19 pandemic related restrictions on social gatherings
PAC Members Present:
Chair: Jennifer McMillan
Co-Chair: Teg Bains
Treasurer: Billie Caffrey
Secretary: Michelle Gibault-Fahlman
Fundraising: Charissa Anderson
And Parent Guests
Dixon Administrators Present:
Principal Kirsten Wallace and new Vice-Principal Ms. Colleen Orzen.
- Welcome & Introductions
Jennifer McMillan called the meeting group to order at 7:03pm and welcomed all present.
Territorial acknowledgement: We would like to acknowledge that we are meeting on the ancestral, traditional, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓ əm (Musqueam) nation.
All present introduced themselves.
2. Review and Approval of Agenda
The Agenda was APPROVED by Teg, SECONDED by Charissa.
3. Review and Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
The Minutes of the last meeting, were APPROVED by Billie, SECONDED by Jenn.
4. Chair Report
- Special treat for students and staff on the last day of school in December 2021 was a success! Thank you to Seafair Safeway for $50.00 donation.
- The Richmond Distract Parents’ Association (RDPA) is hosting an online safety meeting on February 18, 2022 - please see Dixon PAC Facebook page.
- A gift has been sent to Ms. Wong, Dixon’s former Vice-Principal, who has taken a new opportunity at a new Richmond school.
a. February meeting - rescheduled
The February meeting is currently scheduled for February 28, 2022, but there is a conflict with the online safety meeting. It was agreed by all present to reschedule the meeting to Monday, March 7, 2022 at 7pm. Dixon website to be updated.
b. Library classroom allotment
Ms. Laurel Pederson, Dixon’s librarian, presented. In previous years, the Library Classroom Allotment was spent on games (i.e. chess, Blockus), puzzles, pillows to sit on, bean bag chairs, and author visits. It is not possible to have a book fair fundraiser due to COVID pandemic and safety protocols. Reader’s Choice reading program: Ms. Pederson has chosen 7 books for grades 3 and up, and if students read 3 books they get a ballot to enter for a prize. Ms. Pederson is requesting reinstatement of the Library Classroom Allotment and funding for the Reacher’s Choice reading program.
Proposed spending of BC Gaming Grant funds:
- $350.00 for Library Classroom Allotment. This had been approved in prior school year budgets.
- $700.00 for the Reacher’s Choice reading program.
Spending decisions for BC Gaming Grant funds:
- MOTION presented by Teg to approve $350.00 for Library Classroom Allotment. SECONDED by LJ, and APPROVED by All.
- MOTION presented by LJ to approved $700.00 for the Reader’s Choice reading program. SECONDED by Alvin and APPROVED by ALL.
All present extended their thanks to Ms. Pederson for all her efforts and innovation with the library program.
5. Treasurer’s Report
- Gaming funds in bank $10,369.00
- General/ Operational funds in bank $28,199.00
- Total funds in bank $38,568.00
- Awaiting fundraising money from Purdy’s Chocolates and holiday flower sales.
- $90.00 has been paid to purchase new cheques
- $714.00 has been paid for teacher reimbursements
6. Administrator's Report
- Welcome to Mme. Colleen Orzen, our new Vice-Principal.
- Registration has opened and there are only 12 children registered to start in September 2022, which is significant less than expected. The deadline for applications to the Early French Immersion program is January 21, 2022.
- Jingle Bell Run saw a lot of students and parents and it was a great success!
- Holiday music video link was emailed to parents. Thank you to the staff for coordinating and for the parent who loaned the video equipment!
- The volleyball season has come to an end, and there is a planned staff verses student game this week.
- Basketball has started. Badminton possibly coming.
- Icebreaker Run has been rescheduled to April 10, 2022.
- January 23, 2022: Dixon Run Club run.
- Reminder: please stay home if sick.
- Staff and students have been reviewing and practicing COVID safety protocols.
- Saleema Noom presentations took place last week.
- Starting Kilometres Club in class with Dragon Dash planned for March 3, 202.
- There will be no camp this school year for grade 6/7 students, as directed by the Richmond School District. Looking into the possibility of a day trip to Camp Jubilee, with an estimated cost of $89.00 per student.
- Staff looking into a possible snowshoe trip, kayaking/ SUP trip, ropes course.
- Band teachers have requested funding for a sound system (microphone, stand, bluetooth system) to help with the projection of voice. The equipment can be moved to other classrooms and used for special events. Cost is $1,187.00. Gaming funds cannot be used for this. There is currently no sound amplification system.
Proposed spending of General/ Operations funds:
- $1,187.00 for sound system for the music room.
Spending decisions for General/ Operations funds:
- MOTION presented by Michelle to approve $1,187.00 for sound system for the music room. SECONDED by LJ, APPROVED by All.
7. Fundraising Report
- Planning for spring plants and Krispy Kreme donuts. Charissa open to new ideas and volunteers.
- Hot lunches temporarily stopped as only essential staff/ visitors permitted.
8. Hot Lunch Report
- Everything is on hold until at least Family Day.
- January 13 and 20th food days cancelled and Munchalunch accounts have been credited.
9. Questions & Discussion
Ms. Wallace advised that she has received notification that the school is going to be provided with air purifiers for rooms that do not have mechanical ventilation. The air purifiers will be placed in 14 classrooms, the library, and a few other rooms. The Annex and band room have mechanical ventilation. it has been confirmed that Dixon does have sufficient electrical power to operate the air purifiers - this was previously identified as a barrier to their use in correspondence dated January 3, 2022 with Assistant Superintendent Lynn Archer.
Meeting ended at 8:35pm
Schedule of PAC meetings for the 2021/2022 school year:
- Monday, September 27, 2021
- Monday, October 18, 2021
- Monday November 15, 2021
- Monday, January 17, 2022
- Monday, March 7, 2022 (in lieu of February meeting)
- Monday April 11, 2022 (adjusted for Easter)
- Monday, May 16, 2022
- Monday, June 20, 2022