PAC Meeting Minutes of March 7, 2022
PAC Meeting Minutes of March 7, 2022
Dixon Parents Advisory Committee
Location: Zoom meeting due to COVID-19 pandemic related restrictions on social gatherings
PAC Members Present:
Chair: Jennifer McMillan
Co-Chair: Teg Bains
Treasurer: Billie Caffrey
Secretary: Michelle Gibault-Fahlman
Fundraising: Charissa Anderson
And Parent Guests
Dixon Administrators Present:
Principal Kirsten Wallace and Vice-Principal Ms. Colleen Orzen.
- Welcome & Introductions
Jennifer McMillan called the meeting group to order at 7:09pm and welcomed all present.
Territorial acknowledgement: We would like to acknowledge that we are meeting on the ancestral, traditional, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓ əm (Musqueam) nation.
All present introduced themselves.
2. Review and Approval of Agenda
The Agenda was updated to include a presentation from Mr. Martyniuk and Ms. Kaerne, was APPROVED by Teg, SECONDED by Michelle.
3. Review and Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
The Minutes of the last meeting, were APPROVED by Billie, SECONDED by Jenn.
4. Presentation by Mr. Martyniuk and Ms. Kaerne
- Intermediate divisions will be helping to create a permanent art work installation in the Dixon garden.
- Projects involve painting 3D dragonflies, painting 5 panels with various coloured lines, and 2 large panels that mirror each other (such as wings).
- Budget is approximately $5,000.00.
- Art is durable and will last several years. Richmond School District will support 1/3 of funding. Art will be screwed to panels which will be attached to the walls, so that they can be removed and replaced if the school undergoes seismic upgrading.
- Requesting $3,333.33 towards project.
Discussed splitting the cost of the art project 3 ways between the school district, the school, and PAC.
Motion presented to spend $1,700.00 from PAC Gaming Fund presented by Charissa and SECONDED by Teg. Motion APPROVED by ALL.
5. Administrator’s Report
- Summative Assessments completed with explanation of proficiency scales
- Division 9 held parent-teacher conferences in person, and it was wonderful seeing parents in the school again
- Parents are welcome to attend the school to meet with staff - please contact to schedule appointment.
- Pink Shirt Day went well
- March 5/22 West Vancouver Run
- March 10/22 Dragon Dash
- Plans for Track and Field are being determined
- Camp Jubilee for grade 6/7 students will be held for 1 day on May 17, 2022
- Teachers and students have been going for walks in the neighbourhood
- Readers' Choice Awards: over 100 students have read all 7 books.
- Plan to name playground areas.
- There are ongoing safety concerns in parking lot and around the school. Please drive slowly and be patient. Discussed difficulty parking and safety concerns at Gormond parking lot. The Richmond School District is responsible for painting lines and putting up cones.
- Our garden is looking good
- Have requested new sand, logs, and picnic tables - we are on a wait list for these items.
- The new band sound system is amazing!
- Planning is underway for Dragon Days
- COVID-19 Safety: self-test kits have been sent home with students. Reminder to please stay home if you feel unwell/ have symptoms.
- Spirit Wear: supplier is having supply chain issues, as such, admin is awaiting more consistent supply before offering to families.
- Designated grade 7 area on school grounds. Ms. Wallace to discuss concerns with students.
6. Chair Report
a. AGM set for May 16, 2022
b. PAC Executive for 2022/ 2023 school year. It is Michelle’s (PAC secretary) last year at Dixon and this position will need to be filled next year. All families/ guardians are encouraged and welcome to participate in PAC. Please reach out if interested.
7. Treasurer’s Report
- Gaming funds in bank $10,369.00. $4,900.00 already voted on but not yet spent.
- General/ Operating funds in bank $36,609.00. $11,485.00 already voted on, but not yet spent.
- Total funds in bank $46,978.00
- Fundraising cash incoming.
- Paid out $1,187.00 for sound system
- Available funds to vote on include $5,669.00 from Gaming fund and $24,569.00 from General/ Operating fund
8. Fundraising Report
- Neufeld pick up is March 8/22, and fundraised $400.00.
- Planning on Growing Smiles plant sales
- Looking into possible fundraising with Krispy Kreme
- Currently, indoor capacity limited to 50% (which is 160 people in the gym)
- Ideas discussed: outdoor movie, smaller indoor movie, outdoor picnic
- A parent noted that pizza days used to be done separately from Munch-a-Lunch days.
8. Hot Lunch Report
- Ongoing, looking at new vendors
10. Questions & Discussion
Grade 7 yearbook tutorial planned for March 8, 2022 at 7pm. All grade 7 parents/ guardians are invited. Further planning for grade 7 graduation to take place following spring break.
Meeting ended at 8:19pm
Schedule of PAC meetings for the 2021/2022 school year:
- Monday, September 27, 2021
- Monday, October 18, 2021
- Monday November 15, 2021
- Monday, January 17, 2022
- Monday, March 7, 2022 (in lieu of February meeting)
- Monday April 11, 2022 (adjusted for Easter)
- Monday, May 16, 2022
- Monday, June 20, 2022