PAC Meeting MInutes of APril 11, 2022
PAC Meeting Minutes of April 11, 2022
Dixon Parents Advisory Committee
Location: Zoom meeting due to COVID-19 pandemic related restrictions on social gatherings
PAC Members Present:
Chair: Jennifer McMillan
Co-Chair: Teg Bains
Treasurer: Billie Caffrey
Secretary: Michelle Gibault-Fahlman
Fundraising: Charissa Anderson
Hot Lunches: Lisa Kavavaros
And Parent Guests
Dixon Administrators Present:
Principal Kirsten Wallace and Vice-Principal Ms. Colleen Orzen.
- Welcome & Introductions
Jennifer McMillan called the meeting group to order at 7:01pm and welcomed all present.
Territorial acknowledgement: We would like to acknowledge that we are meeting on the ancestral, traditional, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓ əm (Musqueam) nation.
All present introduced themselves.
2. Review and Approval of Agenda
The Agenda was APPROVED by Michelle, SECONDED by Teg.
3. Review and Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting
The Minutes of the last meeting, were APPROVED by Jenn, SECONDED by Teg.
4. Treasurer’s Report
- Gaming funds in bank $9,335.00
- General/ Operational funds in bank $37,402.00 - money received from Purdy’s fundraiser and hot lunch days
- Total cash in bank: $46,737.00 (budgeted and non-budgeted funds)
- Gaming funds remaining to budget/ spend: $3,969.00
- General/ Operational funds to budget/ spend: $26,695.00
- Total non-budgeted funds $30,664.00
- There is $944.00 in cheques from the hot lunch refunds from 2021 which has still not been deposited. Cheques are valid for 1 year. If not cashed, money will be returned to General Funds.
- $600.00 was not used this year for the budget for grade 6/7 camp day. This money was to have been considered in the total cost and split evenly amongst participating students. As this was not used this year, it will be rolled over to next year.
5. Fundraising Report
- We do not have access to a license to be able to show a movie this year. Hopefully, the Richmond School District will renew their license for next year.
- June 24, 2022: plan for a Dixon community picnic/ BBQ.
- Upcoming fundraiser: growing smiles and donuts.
- Planning for Craft Fair on November 23, 2022 to commence. This is the biggest fundraiser for the Dixon PAC. Money is made from the 50/50 sales, the cake walk, and silent auction. We will need to apply for the gaming license soon. If plans change for unforeseen reasons and we are unable to have a in-person Craft Fair, we can also consider hosting an on-line auction.
6. Chair’s Report
- PAC Annual General Meeting scheduled for May 16, 2022
- Call for nominations: all executive positions are 1 year in duration
- PAC Secretary position is vacant for the 2022/2023 school year.
- New provincial proposed food guidelines for schools is voluntary at this time. Provides guidelines for nutritional requirements of food that can sold and given out to students. Provides guidelines for fat, salt, sugar, and calories. Lisa, Dixon’s hot lunch coordinator, will attend a Zoom meeting for additional information. Discussion took place around balancing the needs of the PAC to fundraise with food items, providing food items that children will enjoy and consume, providing food items that are readily available from vendors and are available at a reasonable cost, and providing nutritious food options to students that meet Canada’s Food Guide. Ms. Wallace noted that when nutritious snacks are provided in classrooms, such as fruit slices, they are completely consumed by the end of the day. Further discussion to occur on this topic.
7. Hot Lunch Report
- 2 additional dates for hot lunches have been added for June.
8. Administrator’s Report
- Thank you to PAC for ongoing support!
- Working with students to become ‘peaceful problem solvers’ when playing together outside
- Ms. Mills K/1 teacher on maternity leave. Ms Kinsey starting next week.
- 2022/2023 school year: full French immersion program, decreased enrolment in English program, likely due to fewer children in the Dixon neighbourhood area.
- Track and Field has started: thank you to the coaching team!
- Badminton club for grade 6/7 students has started
- DARE celebrations for grade 5 students
- Gragonfly mural art project for garden area has started
- April 22/22 Earth Day assemblies
- May 12/22 Welcome to Kindergarten for new parents
- May 17/22 camp day for grade 6/7 students. Parent information night April 13, 2022
- June 24/22 Recognition Assembly
- June 28/22 Grade 7 celebration
- Health and safety: school is a mask friendly environment. Washing hands, being mindful of personal space, and staying home when sick are still very important. School will return to regular pre-Covid schedule in September 2022.
- Seismic upgrades coming to Dixon. Still in the project development phase: planning stages district submits plans to Ministry, Ministry approves and then planning on the ground starts. No specifics regarding timeframe are available at this time. No other information is known at the school level.
9. Questions & Discussion
Ms. Wallace advised that Dixon has been given the OK to start planning for an overnight camp in October 2022 - dates, details, and cost to be determined.
There will be no Quebec trip in 2022/2023 school year. The trip requires a 12-18 month period for planning and fundraising. French immersion schools are in discussion with each other about differences, similarities, and possibly standardizing the opportunities for French immersion students across different schools.
Now that in-person events are occurring, PAC representatives will attend to promote PAC activities and encourage parent involvement.
Staff Appreciation Lunch - admin to speak with staff to select date.
PAC AGM at next meeting on May 16, 2022. Possibly in-person.
Meeting ended at 8:24pm
Schedule of PAC meetings for the 2021/2022 school year:
- Monday, September 27, 2021
- Monday, October 18, 2021
- Monday November 15, 2021
- Monday, January 17, 2022
- Monday, March 8, 2022 (in lieu of February meeting)
- Monday April 11, 2022 (adjusted for Easter)
- Monday, May 16, 2022
- Monday, June 20, 2022